Community Education Carving Classes
The Rochester Woodcarvers offers woodcarving classes through the Rochester Public Schools Community Education Adult Enrichment Department. Currently, in person classes have been suspended by the Rochester Community Education Center due to COVID restrictions. When in person classes resume being offered, to see a listing of classes and/or to register for classes, contact the Community Education center at:
Northrop Community Education Center
201 8th St. NW
Rochester, MN 55901
Click on the following “Activity Name” titles to directly access the Community Education class description. You can sign up for the classes by stopping by the Center, calling, mailing or the internet.
Some prior classes:
- Woodcarving–Begin a Lifelong Hobby – Tuesdays – September 19, 2017 to October 10, 2017
Looking for a lifelong hobby of enjoyment? You should try woodcarving. Taught by Ev Ellenwood, best-selling author of ‘The Complete Book of Woodcarving,’ you will work on projects that will teach the basic skills of woodcarving. Learn the use of different knife cuts and how to recognize and use the grain of the wood. The skills you learn can be used to carve anything from simple to intermediate projects. Tools will be available for purchase at the first class meeting. Class is restricted to students 13 years old or older. Students aged 13-16 must be accompanied by an adult. A $10 supply fee will be collected from each student. Cosponsored with the Rochester Woodcarvers Club.
- Woodcarving–New Tricks and Techniques – Tuesdays – September 19, 2017 to January 16, 2018
Leave your house and join your friends, or meet new ones, at this class that provides fun, carving, and conversation. Bring any project that you are working on or start something new. No formal instruction, but carvers with a special interest may provide demonstrations and projects for attendees. Learn new tricks, techniques, and get new ideas for projects. Cosponsored with the Rochester Woodcarvers Club.
- Woodcarving–Fun Projects for Novice Carvers – Tuesdays – February 2, 2016 to March 8, 2016
- Woodcarving–Carve-In – Tuesdays – January 26, 2016 to April 26, 2016
- Woodcarving–Beginner’s Woodcarving – Tuesdays – September 22, 2015 to October 27, 2015
- Woodcarving–Carve-In – Tuesdays – September 22, 2015 to January 19, 2016
- Norwegian Acanthus Mirror Frame – Mondays – September 21, 2015 to October 19, 2015